"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 19 September 2015

Okra curry - Mum's recipe

I always, always loved Mum's Okra curry. I miss it lots now! The other day as I was stewing thinking of what to make for lunch the following day, my thoughts treaded upon mum's okra curry and I found myself yearning for it, then teared up.



I then felt a convincing voice/thought that said, "Oh you can make it from memory! After all how many times have you witnessed this make?"



So I ventured on making Mum's Okra curry (Vendakya curry).



It turned on somewhat quite close to what she made but what would I not give to taste her make one more time. Sigh! Sorry dear readers the grieving process from losing your mum esp. one who has inspired your cooking/baking, etc is tremendous that I am quite unsure if I would ever come out of this. Love you Mum and miss you loads.



You need:

  • 500 gms of lady's fingers/okra, chopped
  • 1 tbsp of red chili powder
  • 1 tbsp of coriander powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 large onion, diced lengthwise
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped finely
  • 1/2" ginger, chopped finely
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Drizzle of oil
  •  Up to 1 cup of drinking water or 1/2 cup drinking water & first and second milk of half a medium sized  coconut.




The Make:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes | Serves 3-4 adults

1. In a non-stick pot, drizzle some oil and once warm, add in the mustard seeds. Allow to splutter.
2. Then toss in the curry leaves on medium low heat.
3. Add in the onions and saute on medium heat until the onions are translucent. Next add in the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Then add the spices and salt and saute well for another minute.
4. Next add in the okra and saute well.
5. Add in the tomatoes stir well until the tomatoes have softened and the stickiness of the okra disappears. This would take between 3-5 minutes.
6. Add about half a cup of water and stir well. Check to see if the okra is almost fully immersed in the gravy, else add another half cup of water or the second milk of the coconut gratings.
7. Cover and allow the okra to fully cook and flavour the gravy over the next 15 minutes. Then lower the flame and add in the first milk of coconut gratings. Allow to warm up and turn off the flame.

Serve hot with piping hot rice or your choice of roti. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"