"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Friday 18 September 2015

Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken

I am baaaack. Didn't expect me so soon did you :)? Well I am here and this time again with another super simple recipe.

Although I specify two herbs, you can add more or different herbs as well. I tried this combination and I have to say I am quite inspired with this experiment.

This chicken borrows more of a Mediterranean flavour. Herbes de Provence, a mixture of several dried herbs such as thyme, oregano, rosemary, marjoram and savoury, is typical of the Provence region of South East France. Oregano is common in the Mediterranean region.



You need:


  • 1.2 kgs of whole chicken with skin on, washed and cleaned well
  • Salt to taste
  • Half a shake of Herbes de Provence
  • A good shake of Oregano
  • 1 tbsp Pepper powder
  • A drizzle of olive oil
  • 1/2 a lemon
  • 2 drops of clove oil (you just have about 3-4 cloves sitting in some warm oil for about half a day, strain and use) - optional *
* You can also use biriyani oil in case available.





The Make:
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Roast time: 1 hour | Resting time: 10 minutes | Serves 3-4 adults

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Form slits all around the chicken with a sharp knife edge and allow the cleaned chicken to drain in a colander.
2. In a bowl, mix the herbs, pepper, olive oil and salt to taste.
3, Rub into the chicken well, taking care to tuck in some of the spice rub into the slits on the chicken and some in the cavity as well.
4. Squeeze the lemon juice over the spice rub and massage the chicken once more.
5. In a large roasting pan, lay the spice rubbed chicken carefully and pop it into the oven.
6. Roast until golden brown on top and the chicken is cooked well for about an hour.
7. Rest in the oven for about five minutes and then remove from the oven and rest for five more minutes.

Serve hot with a side of your favourite salad and choice of bread.



Bon Appetit! My little one loved this chicken make as well (PS for those of you who do not know - my little one is my biggest critic ever! :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"