"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 12 January 2016

Eggless Sorghum and Pearl Millet Banana Muffins (Eggless Jowar and Bajra Banana Muffins) #BreadBakers

Happy New Year readers. I have had a good start to the year meeting friends of old and family. I feel blessed to have moved to our new location which is giving me a chance to meet lots of wonderful people from my life with many more to come in the days ahead. This is why you haven't heard from me since Boxing Day.



These days a lot of diets have non-gluten ingredients to make a way for those who are gluten intolerant. Although initially I thought of making these muffins using only Sorghum, I added in the Pearl Millet in small quantities and glad that I did so, as it adds some texture making it seem crunchy. Loved the reaction of my tasters. I had my daughter who at first point blank did not like it as it seemed too healthy to another toddler (Mahi) who downed two muffins as he loved it to another doll (Riddhi) also who pretty much gobbled it up as her mum said. So you know that with kids this muffin could go either ways. The adults all seemed to have liked it even though it was butterless, 'refined' flourless and colour wise looked different from your regular muffins.In fact one of the tasters who does not like banana in her muffins surprisingly did not notice the banana until it was pointed out to her. There were others who pointed out that the muffins tasted like a prasadam (holy food) they received from the temple. They did not particularly like it though they said it was edible and would be enjoyed by health freaks and kids whose parents were health conscious.





Sorghum or Jowar has heaps of health benefits including but not restricted to protection against diabetes, insulin resistance, inhibit cancer tumour growth, safe for people with celiac disease as it is gluten free, manages cholesterol and is known to help treat human melanoma.




Pearl Millet or Bajra (the poor man's grain) is an excellent source of protein and fiber with easy to digest amino acids than the ones found in wheat. It helps reduce cholesterol, maintains good heart health, reduces blood pressure and lowers the risks of heart attacks. Rich in phosphorous which is a constituent of lipid-containing structures such as cell membranes and the nervous system.Apparently recent studies have also declared Pearl millets to help prevent gallstones in women. It also increases insulin sensitivity and reduces triglycerides. It also provides protection against breast cancer in pre-menopausal women and reduces the occurence of asthma and wheezing in children. It also reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes and hormone dependent cancers.However do not overdo your Millet intake as there are risks involved owing to low iodine content and resultant goiter. You could include it in your daily diet in small quantities.



I must admit I was seriously nervous and fascinated at the same time to try out these flours in making a baked bread (vs. a flatbread) as I have never used either Bajra or Jowar as a baked bread. Flatbread yes I have tried both Bajra and Jowar separately and together as well. So I cannot tell you how pleased I was with the result of these muffins. All thanks to Robin Beck of A Shaggy Dough Story who chose this fabulous theme of  'Ancient Grains' for the first month of 2016 Bread Bakers's event. Thanks Robin.


Since the relocation of homes, I did not see either these flours or grains at our present local market so I had my hubby bring the flour and grain from his recent work travel. Sorghum was available as a flour but the Pearl Millet had to be ground. Thanks Stacy for the guidance to grind my own flour :) The Pearl Millet has this really interesting fragrance when pounded as well. *4. Check notes

Cashews or almonds are optional. Here for just two of the muffins I added the cashews that my mum had chopped herself and soaked for Christmas 2015 (I ate them on my own :( ). She had it soaked for a while as she didn't make Christmas cake the year before as my grandma had passed on. I am treasuring that bowl of soaked cashews.

On with the make..

What you need:
  • 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour / Jowar Flour , sifted
  • 1/4 cup Pearl Millet Flour / Bajra flour, sifted *1. Check notes 
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 6-7 tbsp Sugar *2. Check notes 
  • 1/2 cup Oil *3. Check notes 
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
  • Cashews or Almonds for topping (Optional)
  • 3/4 cup of mashed bananas (of your choice)


The Make:
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Makes: 8 Muffins

1. Sift the flours together and blend in the salt, baking powder and baking soda. Let it rest for a while (at least 10 minutes).
2. In a large bowl, whisk the mashed bananas with the sugar, vanilla essence and oil until the sugar dissolves.
3. Next mix in the flour bit by bit to the whisked banana mixture until no traces of flour is seen.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Meanwhile line your muffin tray with paper cups.
5. Spoon in the batter into each paper cup halfway leaving room for the batter to rise.
6. Sprinkle some chopped cashews or almonds on top.
7. Transfer the muffin tray to the oven rack and bake for 20 mins at 180°C.
8. Once baked, do a clean test with a toothpick and set aside for at least 10 minutes.

I kind of enjoyed these muffins warm. It depends on your taste buds really. I loved it especially once it came out of the oven and after the 10 minutes rest. If it gets too cold then just slightly heat it in the oven for a minute or less. These muffins are really light on your palate and does not leave a heavy after taste owing to the lack of gluten in the flours. Hope you enjoy making these as I did.

Notes:
1. Bajra seeds can be ground using a coffee grinder or a spices grinder
2. The Sugar can be adjusted depending on how sweet your bananas would be.
3. Preferably use an odourless oil like sunflower oil or corn oil.
4. For those of you in India and do not have either of these flours in your local market, you can get your Bajra or Jowar from Amazon, India. For those of you with an Amazon.com reach, try to get your Bajra or Jowar from their online portal.

This month's BreadBakers' theme is Ancient Grains, hosted by Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story. Ancient grains are generally accepted to mean grains that have remained largely unchanged/un-hybridized over the last several hundred years, which means NO MODERN WHEAT. Here's what our creative bakers came up with.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.


BreadBakers

24 comments:

  1. Your husband is a very good guy to go shopping for you when he is away on business, Georgina! I love the reviews from your tiny taste-testers too. Lovely muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is adorable that way :)! Blessed to have him in my life! Yes I loved it too esp. the toddler who kept asking for more. I need to bake him a fresh batch :) Thanks Stacy!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Georgina, kudos for creativity in creating these muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought of making muffins using millet and sorghum flour. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either. I was pretty nervous after committing to try them out. Thank you Mayuri.

      Delete
  4. I almost did a flat bread too. Loved hearing everyone's reactions to your muffins! So glad the kiddos liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. The kids liking them was the cherry on top for me :)

      Delete
  5. This is a very creative recipe! I have never tried Sorghum, and love that the millet added texture. Great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious and so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those muffins are so nutritious and healthy. Never baked with jowar or bajra before and these muffins look like the perfect recipe to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how it turns out. Thanks Pavani

      Delete
  8. Absolutely wonderful, Georgina! What an incredible way to use those ancient grains. I am glad your little one liked these. Yes you are right.. with kids, sometimes it's a hit or a miss, but we have to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anshie. We sure do have to keep trying :)

      Delete
  9. I adore anything banana. Will have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Do let me know how it goes Wendy <3

      Delete
  10. so healthy and must have a nice texture = yet another banana muffin to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chef Mireille. Do let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  11. OMG, these are healthy and delicious muffins, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Healthy and tasty muffins dr..........

    ReplyDelete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"