"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Pumpkin, Poppy and Papaya seeded breadsticks #BreadBakers

Woohoo another fabulous Bread baking event that I am glad to be a part of and ever-so ecstatic to be a part of this beautiful heart warming family of bread bakers. This month's event 'Hearty Fall Breads' is hosted by the lovely Wendy Klik of the 'A Day in the Life on the Farm'. Thank you Wendy for this lovely baking opportunity. I am so excited that I could dish out these breadsticks despite my doubts and apprehensions.



Breadsticks in my opinion need to be nice and crunchy and shared over a big bowl of healthy soup. I made almost 3 batches of these breadsticks but the best ones are those that I rolled out thinner. Of course the thicker ones actually tasted better with some dressing/cheese even. So you can actually serve up two makes out of this recipe a thicker wholesome one and a thinner crunchier one. I served these breadsticks with Chef Donna Hay's 'Roasted Pumpkin soup' for the soul. What's best was when I made these breadsticks and soup, it was heavily raining and there was this chill in the air.




If you have followed my earlier recipe on 'Papaya Pudding', I did mention how Mum had planted these amazing Papaya seeds which then gave its first crop just a month ago, I saved the seeds off this Papaya fruit that Dad shared with me. I have added these seeds in the bread. So I am super glad that these breadsticks turned out the way they did.




The Pumpkin is also homegrown and was shared by Dad. I love being so close to home where I can get to taste all of Mum's and Dad's fresh grown produce of fruits and veggies.






This is such a simple make if you stay calm throughout the bake :) My first batch I was super nervous for some reason..hmmm! I think I am watching too much of Masterchef Australia :D



You need:

  • 3 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1.5 cups of plain white flour
  • 1 tsp of dry active yeast
  • 2-3 tbsp of lukewarm water
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Luke warm Water to knead
  • 100 gms of poppy seeds
  • Seeds from a medium size pumpkin, cleaned and air dried 
  • Palmful of papaya seeds, cleaned and air dried
  • Olive oil to brush
  • Reserve white flour for kneading


The Make:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Resting Time: an hour | Makes enough for 4-5 adults or more depending on the size of the roll

1. In a small bowl, combine both the dry active yeast and the sugar and 2-3 tbsp of lukewarm water to mix well. Allow to activate and if it does not fluff up, then use a new batch of yeast and repeat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine both flours, salt, the proven yeast and knead. Then add some lukewarm water and knead to a sticky albeit mouldable consistency.
3. Allow to rest in a dark, warm place for an hour in a well-oiled bowl and cover with cling film or until the dough almost doubles in size. My oven or microwave oven is almost always a sure bet esp. in cold weather when I preheat my microwave for a minute and then allow the bowl to sit in the switched off, preheated oven.
4. Meanwhile dry roast the papaya and pumpkin seeds separately.
5. Sprinkle some white flour on a clean surface, place the doubled up dough and punch out the air off the doubled up dough.
6. Knead the pumpkin and papaya seeds into the doubled up dough.
7. Line a baking tray with some parchment paper or brush some oil onto the surface of your baking tray.
8. Grease your palms with some oil and keep a bowl aside with some oil to repeat in between rolls. Roll the dough into breadsticks between your palms in horizontal manner to the thickness you prefer, to avoid the dough from lengthening and breaking off on its own. Place the palm-rolled dough onto the baking tray, leaving some gaps between each piece allow room to rise.
8. In a smaller bowl combine some olive oil and the poppy seeds and brush over the rolled dough pieces.
9. Preheat the oven to 180°C and place tray in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Keep a close watch between batches to avoid any burning. After the first batch, the subsequent batches would require less than 15 minutes.

Serve this up with your favourite soup or in my case this time was the Roasted Pumpkin soul for the soul.

Let's take a look at the other Fall Flavors being shared today
BreadBakers #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

25 comments:

  1. Nice flavor combination with pumpkin and papaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy that you used homegrown pumpkin and papaya , i too used homegrown pumpkin in my bread......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sharanya. I am glad I live so close to home where there is always a fresh supply of fruits, veggies and herbs :)

      Delete
  3. What a great recipe! I would love to have access to papaya like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. Wish we were near to share the produce. There is always a good supply of papaya and other fruits, veggies and herbs at my parents' place and a few at my in-laws' place as well. Papaya grows in almost all homes here :) People do need to value it more though. It has umpteen benefits.

      Delete
  4. I like that you can make these to taste, crunchy or soft. Perfect because I like soft and hubby likes crunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe same here. Though my hubby prefers the soft and I prefer the crunch.

      Delete
  5. I never knew you could eat papaya seeds! I have to try them. Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Oh yes you can eat it and it has a world of benefits. The papain enzyme in the seeds helps to break down undigested protein in the body as well as helps get rid of parasites from the body. It is also used to treat Liver Cirrhosis. I think there is also a tablet that contains the papaya seeds content to do both of the above and others. Only pregnant and breastfeeding mums must not consume the same.

      Delete
  6. Very nice and such a lovely story! I often use a pasta maker to get my bread sticks super thin =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) Wow that is an amazing idea. I wish I had a pasta maker though :(

      Delete
  7. I envy your fresh, home-grown produce. You've made a lovely meal with soup and breadsticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. If you were near, I would have shared for sure. :)

      Delete
  8. Home grown produce are the best.Would never have thought of using papaya seeds. I just throw them away!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too till I learnt of the health benefits. Now I use it whenever possible. I have two recipes coming up where I introduced the seeds as well.

      Delete
    2. I did too till I learnt of the health benefits. Now I use it whenever possible. I have two recipes coming up where I introduced the seeds as well.

      Delete
  9. This bread sticks look wonderful with all the different seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to have a papaya tree back home in India. Your pic reminded me of it.
    Adding papaya seeds to the bread sticks is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that soup and breadsticks look like such an awesome combination

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a unique culmination of flavours in these lovely breadsticks! When paired with a hearty soup it must taste like heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"