"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 28 March 2013

Green gram and Raw Banana (Plantain) with Coconut/ Cherrupayaar Pachayethakaya Thoran

As I mentioned in my last post, for Good Friday, we normally have gruel (rice soup), Green Gram with Raw Plantain and Coconut, Diced Mango Pickle and Pappadum/Pappad. Tomorrow is Good Friday and I made this recipe after a quick call to Mum.

Green gram with Raw Banana and Coconut served with Rice, Pappad and Mango Pickle

Green gram is rich in Vitamin C and has several health benefits. High fiber content and low in calories, green gram is a good choice for adults and kids alike. Raw Banana/Plantain also has several health benefits. It is rich in Vitamin C, low in saturated fats, low cholestrol and also rich in Potassium and Manganese.

To make this recipe,

Small red onions (Cheriya ulli)
You need:


  • 2 large raw bananas (plantains), skinned and diced
  • 4-6 small red onions (Cheriya ulli), diced
  • 2 green chilies (slit) / (You can also use dried red chilis)
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1" ginger, diced
  • 4 cups of green gram (Cherupayyar)
  • 1/2 of a small coconut, grated
  • Salt to taste
  • Crushed peppercorns, to taste
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves


The Make:
Serves 4-6 adults | Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes

1. Cover and cook the green gram with water for 10 minutes and add the diced bananas and cook for another 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat a skillet and lightly brown some coconut and set aside.

2. Add 1 tbsp oil to the same skillet and lightly fry the onions, ginger and garlic.

3. Crush the fried ingredients with salt and pepper and set aside.

4. In the skillet, heat the remaining oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Lower the heat and toss in the curry leaves and lightly fry.

Stir in the Green gram with Raw Banana and Coconut

5. Next add in the cooked green gram with bananas and the fried coconut mix. Saute for about a minute and turn off the heat.

Green Gram with Raw Banana and Coconut

6. Serve hot with rice/gruel or rotis/flat bread of your choice.


Cheruppayar and PachaYethakaya served!

Toddlers would also not fuss over this dish when mixed with rice. Tried and tested with my toddler :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"