"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Diced Mango Pickle (Kadu Manga Pickle) - Mummy's Recipe

With Good Friday soon approaching, I would like to share with you what would be our main meals throughout the day. We normally have gruel (Rice soup), a veg mix of green gram and green banana, mango pickle and Pappad/Pappadum (Fried cracker).

Diced Mango Pickle


There are several ways to make this accompaniment. However I would like to share the delicious make that my Mum creates.

You need:

Kanthari or Bird's Eye Chilis

  • 5-6 medium sized raw, green mangoes, diced in small pieces
  • 6-8 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1" ginger, diced and crushed
  • 1 sprig curry leaves
  • 2-3 tbsp of red chili powder
  • 2-3 small chilis / Bird's eye Chili (kanthari) - * optional
  • 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp of Fenugreek(methi/uluva) seeds powder
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • Salt to taste
  • 3 tbsp or more of Sesame oil (Ellaenna) - ** some people also use coconut oil
  • 1-2 cups of filtered drinking water/boiled, cooled water


The Make:
Makes 1 large jar or 800-900gms | Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes

1. Heat the oil in a large wok and splutter the mustard seeds. Next add the curry leaves and allow to stand for less than a minute (do not brown).
2. Add the garlic, ginger and other dry ingredients except the mangoes and simmer for 3-4 minutes. You will find that the spices leave the oil and is cooked.

Simmering the spices

3. Turn off the heat and add the mango pieces and stir. After it becomes lukewarm, add the boiled, cooled water. Taste to see if the seasoning is sufficient, else add more salt.

Adding the mango pieces to the spices

4. Cover and set aside for 4-6 hours or till evening if prepared in the morning.
Diced Mango Pickle
5. Bottle the pickle in a pickle jar or bottle jar and set aside for 2-3 days. Check if there is enough oil else top with oil as pickle needs to have some extra oil for preservation.

Jarred up!
6. You can use after 3 days and refrigerate after Day 3.

Serve as an accompaniment with gruel, rice, roti, other flatbreads.

Mummy's Mango Pickle recipe

* Note: Bird's eye Chili or Kanthari is the spiciest Chilis in Kerala, India and is known to reduce cholestrol levels if used with care. I got some from my Aunt Anne's home so decided to toss it into the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"