"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 13 June 2012

French Mackerel Fish in Sweet and Savoury Cranberry sauce

This is an old recipe from one of my handwritten recipe books. I am not sure of the origin - it could be from a 'Weekend' or 'Friday' magazine or from my cousin's recipe collection. I learnt a lot of international cuisines growing up in 'Cosmopolitan' Dubai. Back then I had many a opportunity to learn a lot of new recipes and most of it was first tried and tested (almost always right) by Mum.
French Mackerel served up


This is a very savory fish recipe and the thyme lends such an excellent flavour and fragrance as well. It is best made with fillet of mackerel (as otherwise mackerel has a lot of bones and it could be a pain to eat with this savory base). I tried this out with the bone-on this time and also this is best had as a full fish rather than cut however this time I had my fish clean and cut at the seller's place itself before I decided to make this one.Also I used the Indian Mackerel variety as I did not have a choice! Cranberries and Red currants are not readily available here. I tried even in the import shops but in vain. I had a choice to use Red Grapes but it is not in season now, so I chose the packaged cranberry juice version.


Indian Mackerel

You need:
    Diced white onions, thyme sprigs
  • 2 medium sized mackerel  in full or mackerel fillets
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic
  • 1 medium sized white onion diced
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter (or if you are using the salted butter, then take care whilst adding salt separately)
  • 1 sprig thyme
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup of dry white wine or white wine vinegar (I used homemade white wine - recipe to follow:) )
  • 1 cup of cranberry (freshly juiced or packaged. In case of packaged sweet version, do not add sugar as below). (Other options: You can also use red currant or red grape)
  • White wine(L), Cranberry juice(R)
  • 1/2 tbsp of powdered or castor sugar


Thyme Sprigs











The make:

Cooking Time:20 minutes| Preparation Time: 20 minutes| Serves 2 adults
    Onion and garlic in butter

  • Clean the fish and/or fillet as required.
  • Place the fish on a baking tray or pan ( I used my iron skillet - taking care to use oven mitts as the handle will heat in the oven)
  • Take the juice of the cranberries and strain or packaged version and set aside.
  • Crush the garlic and dice finely. Next, add the diced onions and garlic to the butter in a heated skillet until translucent (Do not brown). Do this on a low flame and allow to blend for about 5-10 minutes only.
  • Mackerels before going into the oven
  • Next add the juice, sugar(only if the juice is freshly juiced and not for sweetened packaged version), wine/wine vinegar, salt(only if butter is unsalted) and pepper to the skillet. Allow it to warm not boil. Turn off the flame.

  • Pour the liquid over the prepared mackerel in the baking tray/pan and top with the fresh thyme sprig. 
  • Place it in a hot oven (heated on high flame). Lower the heat to medium and allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes maximum. (In case your oven, does not have a heating device on top, then 5-7 minutes into the cooking process, flip the mackerel over. In case you have additional cranberries/red grape/red currants left, then chop them up and place over the fish and allow to blend with the fish in the oven.
Mackerel in the pan done with thyme sprigs
Mackerel in Cranberry sauce

Bon Appetit! My Indian Fish loving HD...loved this one so much that I reserved some of the remaining sauce for another appetising meal :) Do let me know how you like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"