"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 30 May 2012

King Mappas (Mild Spicy King Fish in Coconut milk gravy)

It was last Saturday evening and I had already started on my preparation for Sunday morning Appams to be served. So ideally since lunch was my King#1. This became a part of our Sunday breakfast. This goes well with thin long grain white rice(Basmati Rice) or Appams. This is a traditional Keralite dish and is also made with Chicken (Chicken Stew).

King Mappas

You need:
Small red onions/shallots
Curry leaves

  • 500 gms of King Fish - clean and cut into medium size
  • 6-8 shallots - chopped
  • 1 onion - thinly sliced
  • Garlic - 6 cloves - crushed
  • Ginger - 1 inch - crushed
  • Green chilis - 4 slit lengthwise in the center only leaving the head and tail intact
  • Tomato - 1 chopped
  • Cinnamon sticks - 1" one piece
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig - 6-8 leaves
  • Chili Powder (Kashmiri Chili) - 1 tbsp
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander seeds (Powdered) - 1 tsp
  • Black Jeera or Cumin - powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
  • Fenugreek powder - 1 tsp
  • Cilantro leaves - 1 sprig chopped
  • Thin coconut milk - 1.5 cups
  • Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup 




The act:

Cooking time: 25 minutes, Preparation time: 15 mins

Spices sauteed with thin coconut milk
1. In a mortar and pestle, crush the ginger and garlic with the shallots and cinnamon stick. Grind the tomatoes with the spices(chili powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, coriander seeds powder, cumin powder and salt to taste).


2. In a clay pot, splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.

3. Saute the onions, cinnamon, ginger and garlic and green chilies till translucent.

4.  Add the ground spices and allow to cook (about 5 mins). Add the thin milk and mix well.

Tip:Do not worry if your gravy looks too thin at this stage.
5. Run to a boil and then add the cleaned fish pieces and mix well.

6. Cover and allow to cook (20 minutes). Uncover and check if cooked. Also check on your salt seasoning.

7. Then add the first (thick) milk and allow to heat(not boil) for 5 minutes.

8. Turn off the heat and dress with cilantro leaves.


Your delicious King#3 is ready to be served with Appams or rice. Bon Appetit!

King Mappas
King Mappas served with Appams

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"