"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Monday 23 December 2013

Golden Syrup

Golden syrup is not readily available everywhere but can be used in quite a few recipes. It is a very simple ingredient to make with such limited ingredients I am sure you can find in your pantry at home. I used this syrup for the Gingerbread men biscuits that I made recently. This syrup has a long shelf-life so as long as you follow the instructions well.




You need:
  • 100 gms sugar
  • 3 tbsp water
Additionally,
  • 1/2 kg sugar
  • 300 gms boiling water
  • 1 sliced lemon (Large or small lemon)
  • 1 sterilised jar



The Make:
Cooking time: 45 minutes | Resting Time: 5 minutes | Makes about a medium sized jar
Adapted from Todd's Kitchen

1. In a saucepan, on medium heat, add the sugar and 3 tbsp of water and mix well. Keep stirring till sugar dissolves. The sugar becomes a nice dark caramel colour. This process is similar to the one I did for the Ginger Wine and Mummy's Christmas cake as well with the burnt sugar.


2. Next turn the heat to the lowest and add the boiling water carefully, a bit at a time to avoid spluttering. Stir it well.
3. Add the remaining sugar on medium heat and stir it through until the sugar is completely melted.
4. Lower the heat to the lowest and let it simmer to about 45 minutes and add half a lemon to avoid it from caramelising  any further and preventing any sugar crystals from forming lumps. Do not stir during the 45 minutes.


5. Turn off the heat and take out the lemon. You can consume the lemon as a candied lemon or use it in another recipe.
6. Let the syrup cool down for about 5 minutes only and transfer to the sterilised jar and let it cool down further in the jar without the lid on.
7. The syrup would thicken as it cools down to about the same consistency as that of honey. Use the Golden Syrup as you wish in your recipes like in the Gingerbread men biscuits.
As long as you use a sterilised jar, this syrup would last you for months on the shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"