"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Friday 20 December 2013

Fried Rice - Mummy's recipe

As I mentioned in the Duck roast post, this Fried Rice would be an excellent accompaniment to the Duck Roast. Not only is this a simple to make accompaniment, it is also goes well with the Duck Roast Gravy! I used to always resign myself to the fact that rice was something I was never good at making esp. Fried Rice, Biriyani, etc. Well not until I followed mum's instructions to the 'T' and also had a televised encounter with Jamie Oliver :) So all it takes is good listening (and might I add obeying) skills to get it right (after a few tries).



This one is mum's recipe so it turned out pretty fab (Thank God as I had guests to feed).

To make this simple Fried rice,

You need:


  • 3 coffee mugs (about 600 gms) basmati (long grained) rice 
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1 large onion, diced finely
  • 1" ginger, diced finely or ground
  • 1" cinnamon stick
  • Veggies of your choice - carrots, green peas, beans, etc., diced finely
  • 6-7 cups of drinking water
  • 1-2 tbsp of cooking oil
  • 1 tbsp of ghee or clarified butter (optional)
  • Drizzle of oil (optional)


Method:

Serves 7 adults | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Preparation Time: 15 minutes (to 1 hour)

1. Clean the rice and then soak for at least for at least 15 minutes to 1 hour. The reason for this is that the more you soak it, the lesser water would be required to be added during the cooking process which means lesser possibilities of turning up with a less than fluffed rice.
2. Boil 6 cups of water with salt and cardamom powder and a drizzle of oil (optional) to avoid the rice from sticking (I did not add any oil at this stage and it turned out fine) in a non-stick pot.
3. When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the heat and take out a palm full of the soaked rice bit by bit, add it to the boiled water and discard the soaked water. Cover and cook until the rice comes to a boil. Turn off the flame and leave covered.
4. Heat the oil in a wok/non-stick pot and toss in the onions.
5. Saute the onions with a pinch or less of salt until translucent and then add the ginger and saute for a minute.
6. Toss in the cinnamon stick and saute for another minute.
7. Next add in the veggies and saute for a few minutes (with ghee - optional) until translucent.
8. Transfer the sauteed veggies to the half cooked rice and add another cup of water if required. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes on medium flame*.
9. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Serve hot with your favourite dish or Duck Roast.


*Tip: Medium flame as it would get too stodgy and take more time on low flame.

These pictures are again from a time before my blogging adventure began. I will replace them once I make this dish again. Just had to share the recipe as its only 4 days to go to Christmas :) 
Merry Christmas all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"