This recipe has been a repeated experiment for quite a while now and I have the ingredients experimented across a variety of veggies but most commonly for the humble bitter gourd. This time I tried it with snake gourd.
It was an excellent accompaniment to the Keralite spicy fish curry and rice. Yum!
- 500 gms of snake gourd, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp of jaggery
- 1 tbsp of black sesame seeds (you can use the white, split ones as well)
- Oil to drizzle
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp of pepper powder
- 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic-chili sauce or you could just add a tbsp of ginger-garlic paste and a sprinkle of crushed, dried red chili
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15-20 minutes | Serves 2 adults
1. In a non-stick pan, add a drizzle of oil, toss in the snake gourd, salt and saute well.
2. Next add in the mixture of jaggery, black sesame seeds, soya sauce, pepper powder and the ginger-garlic sauce/paste.
3. Saute well and cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
4. The resultant snake gourd would be sticky, sweet and somewhat crunchy. Serve hot on the side of rice and spicy fish curry.