"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Pazham Bonda - Fried Mashed Banana balls

This is one from my mum's kitchen again. A very simple to make tasty tea-time snack! There are so many variants of Bonda but this one by far strides well with both kids and adults alike. This also makes for a good on-the-go snack and can be made in various sizes as well. It has a texture very similar to that of a doughnut.



Normally bonda is made with plain flour (maida) only however as  I mentioned in my earlier posts and profile as well, Mum's kitchen has always adopted healthier options. This variant is made with a combination of wheat flour and plain flour. I would suggest you make this at home rather than buying it from a restaurant as it is simple to make and you know how sweet to make it and how much and what type of oil to use.




You need:


  • 2 cups of Wheat flour
  • 1 cup of Plain flour (maida)
  • 6-8 Bananas, mashed
  • Jaggery/Sugar/Brown sugar/Cane sugar to taste
  • 1-2 cups drinking water
  • A pinch of baking powder
  • Cooking oil - to deep fry


The Make:
Preparation Time: 3-4 hours | Cooking Time: Under 30 minutes | Makes 8-10 medium sized balls

1. Combine all the ingredients above into a dough.

2. Set aside to rest for about 3-4 hours. You can leave it for longer if you have the time as well. This batch was rested for at least 6 hours.

3. Once rested, divide the dough and roll it into tennis sized balls. You can make them smaller if you like as well.

4. Heat a large/deep-bottomed wok with the oil for up to 2 minutes.

5. Lower the flame and place the rolled balls carefully into the oil and deep fry till golden brown.

6. Drain and place the bonda on a clean kitchen towel.

7. Serve hot with tea or coffee.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful and tasty. I am sure going to make this. Thank you.

    Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaya. Do send me a photo once you make it. I can share your efforts on our @The Readers' Kitchen page (http://gginaflavorspalatte.blogspot.in/p/readers-re-creations.html) My email address is gginazkitchenette@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yumm...let me try this and then I'll definitely let you know. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Disha..Sure yes do let me know once you have tried it out :)

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"