"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Spanish Omelette [Tortilla de patatas con cebolla (with onion)] - Hubby's Special!!



It was the morning of our fourth wedding anniversary and hubbykins decided to chef the morning breakfast with a surprise make. I saw some sausages defrosting and potatoes coming out of the tray and was wondering what we were going to have...hmmm!

We had some of these wonderful Spanish omelettes at a live counter at the hotel where we stayed for our honeymoon and once after. Of course this one was made after Anup reviewed a couple of recipes and finally decided that this was the one he would make. I definitely enjoyed it to the very last bite.

There are several versions of Spanish omelettes that you would find. Some are made with chorizo toppings and vegans would probably find thinly sliced mushrooms as an option.





What a truly pampered way to start our special day...I cannot believe that it has be four awesome years together. Time sure flies...


Remember while making these omelettes, that the success factor depends on how thinly sliced the vegetables or chorizo are and incorporated into the omelettes. Another success factor relies on the tossing of the omelette.

You need:
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 chorizo sausages/other sausages, finely diced * see notes for substitutes
  • 1 large potato or 2 medium potatoes, grated or chopped finely
  • 1 large onion, purple or white, finely diced * see notes for preferred
  • Oil as required
  • 1 sprig parsley, finely diced
  • Salt to taste
  • Smoked paprika or pepper to taste


The Make:
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Serves 2 adults

1. Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan and saute the chorizo sausages until lightly brown. Set aside.
2. Next 1 tbsp oil and toss in the onions and grated potatoes on medium low heat. Allow the potatoes to cook through for at least 10 minutes taking care not to burn. Once cooked, strain the potatoes and onions in a large colander allowing the excess oil to drain off.
3. Next whisk the eggs well and toss in the parsley, seasoning/condiments, the potatoes and onions.
4. Heat some of the drained oil in a pan checking if there is enough to grease the corners of the pan and add the whisked ingredients evenly.
5. Turn the heat to medium and allow the egg to cook for a minute. Top with the chorizo slices and cover and cook until the egg base seems set.



6. Tuck the spatula around the pan to ensure that any loose egg would run to the bottom and get cooked. Allow  to cook for a half a minute on low flame.
7. Next loosen the bottom using the spatula and using a plate toss the egg onto the plate and slide the egg onto the pan again to cook the other side for another minute to two minutes.



8. Repeat step 7 a few more times allowing to cook briefly on each side before flipping over. Ensure to press the sides each time using the spatula to keep the shape intact.

Serve with your favourite flatbread or baguette. Bon Appetit!


Notes*:
1. Veg option: Finely diced mushrooms (of your choice)
2. White onion is preferred owing to the flavour variance

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"