"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 3 December 2019

Chenna Morru Curry (Yam in yoghurt curry)

It has been so long since I wrote a blog post. I remember my friend who is also a blogger saying that it's ok and I should not feel guilty about 'Living a full life!' Strange saying if you analyse it- Living life! or a full life! But that's just it. She is right and I am living a full life. Though I do not get paid for it always in cash. I do it out of love! Taking care of my precious, beautiful and soulful girl and running my travel business 'ICare Holidayz'.

Since my last blog post, I have restarted yoga, got my blackbelt in Karate with my girl, written a couple of scripts and stories/poems. Engaged my little one to write a few scripts and stories. Edited some stories and poems and kept my travel business running.  Oh and appeared in a movie audition or 2 and a dubbing tryout for a movie done by my daughter too (thanks to my neighbour friend). This coupled with the cooking and snapping pictures. So yes I have been 'Living a full life!'


Writing does take your full attention and it just doesn't flow easy. I plan on posting a couple of vegetarian recipes for the Advent (Dec 1-24, 2019) where most Christians give up on either fish, meat - red or white, eggs, milk, etc or all of these in case of some.


This recipe is a simple yet flavorsome and was suggested by my maid and friend Betty. She has a rich resource of Keralaean dishes that she excels in creating, much to the admiration of its' devoured.




You need:


  • Cooking oil, preferably coconut oil
  • Coconut milk from 2 small coconuts
  • Yams - chopped - 400 gms
  •  4 green chilies slit
  • A tsp of turmeric powder
  • Garlic cloves - 5-6
  • Cumin (Jeera) -  1/2 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds -  1 tsp
  • Curry leaves -  A palmful
  • Small onions (Kunjulli)-3-4 pcs
  • Fenugreek (Uluva)-2-3 pcs
  • Yoghurt - 3 cups
  • Salt to taste
  • Water as required 

Method:

Serves 4-5 adults | Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes



1. Extract coconut milk from 2 small coconuts. 
2. Chop yams with a little water (no need to cover the yams completely) and cook with about 4 green chilies slitted lengthwise. Add the turmeric powder and salt to taste.
3. Grind garlic cloves, jeera, yogurt and coconut milk. Set aside. 
4. Splutter the mustard seeds , curry leaves, finely diced small onions, with fenugreek.
5. Add the yogurt mix to the cooled yams . 
6. Once the onion mix is cooled, add the cooked yam mix to it and bring to heat. Don't boil!
7. Serve warm with some hot rice.

Hope you enjoy this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"