"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 12 March 2015

Smoked Brinjal/Eggplant - Baingan ka Bharta (Punjabi style)

I grew up around cosmopolitan cultures in Dubai, UAE and had good Punjabi friends. Of course, once I got married I met a lot more Punjabi people who are my husband's friends and are now very good friends of mine as well.


I have always loved Punjabi food. Lassi and Punjabi samosas top that list for me :)



This recipe comes after trying out the several variants of Baingan ka Bharta. I love the Punjabi variant thus far. The eggplant is first roasted before being mashed.



You need:


  • 4 medium sized brinjals/eggplants
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 medium sized onions, sliced finely
  • 2 tbsp garlic paste
  • 1" ginger, finely grated
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder 
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped finely
  • 2 green chilies, chopped finely (or sliced if you don't want it spiced)
  • 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
  • Some coriander leaves for garnish
  • Oil - 1 tbsp or as required
  • Drinking water - as required
  • Salt to taste



The Make
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes | Serves 3-4 adults

1. Roast the eggplant on all sides either on the gas top or on your grill or in your oven. The resultant eggplant's external skin would be charred and the flesh internally would be soft.
2. Once all the eggplants are roasted, set aside to cool. Once cooled, peel of the skin and coarsely mash up the softened flesh of the eggplants.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan or a wok and splutter the cumin seeds.
4. On medium-low heat, add the onions and fry till translucent. Next add the garlic, ginger and green chilis and fry for a minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, powdered spices, salt and saute well. Allow the spices to cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the spices leave the sides of the wok. Add a drizzle of water if required.
6. Next add the mashed eggplant,chopped coriander leaves, cumin powder and mix well. Cook for a minute.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapattis or your favourite rotis and yoghurt.

Hope you enjoy this dish as much as my husband and I did! :)

Bon Appetit!






No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"