To stuff the turkey in Turkey Delight, you can make the stuffing separately and stuff the bird or just make it separately and use the stock of the giblets for the turkey flavour. The former is possible in case of a smaller bird and the latter is preferred for a bigger bird as it would as it is take longer to roast.
To make this deliciously moist and flavourful turkey stuffing,
- Stock of the the turkey giblets or Chicken stock - about 3-4 cups
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 large potato, diced and half cooked
- 1 loaf of bread (it is better if the bread is a day or 2 old), diced into cubes
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 3-5 tbsp of butter
- 1 crispy apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup of raisins (optional)
- 1 cup of pimento green olives, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika- 1 tsp (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preparation Time: 1 hour | Cooking Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour | Serves 6 adults
1. Make the stock out of the turkey giblets - heart, gizzard and neck and bring to a boil, uncovered for about an hour. Strain the stock and set aside to use with the stuffing. You can also use chicken stock, however I preferred the former.
2. Toast the walnuts either on a skillet under browned (ensure you do not burn them) or in a microwave oven for about a minute until you get the toasty aroma. Set aside to cool. Next toast the bread cubes in a pan with half of the butter quantity. Old bread is used as it would be dry and you would end up with a perfect consistency of stuffing. If not old bread, you could end up with mushy stuffing. Tip: if the bread is not old, dry them out in the oven for about 10 minutes before use.
3. Heat a deep-bottomed skillet with the remaining butter. Lower the heat to medium and toss in the shallots and celery until cooked for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the apples, raisins, parsley, potatoes and olives and mix well. Next add the bread and give it a good stir.
5. Add 1 cup of the giblet stock enough to cook the contents in the skillet. Add the thyme, basil, paprika, salt and pepper and the lemon juice and mix well.
6. Cover and cook for about 40 minutes or until the apples have softened. Check intermittently and mix to avoid the stuffing sticking to the bottom of the skillet. Add stock as required to keep the stuffing moist.
Now you can either stuff the bird with the stuffing or just set aside to serve with the Turkey Delight and the Turkey Gravy. Enjoy!
|Turkey Stuffing served with Turkey Delight|