"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Drumsticks in Spinach Gravy

A nutrition enriched dish that is excellent for children and adults alike. Drumsticks, also known as the wonder stick is a great blood purifier and useful in strengthening bones. It is also good for pregnant women as it helps in any pre or post delivery complications. It also helps ease any chest congestion,  coughs and sore throat. Inhaling the steam off water in which drumsticks have been boiled in helps relieve asthma and lung problems.



I made this dish along with Lamb curry and served it with rice. I must say that although it was on-the-fly, the combination was amazingly in sync with each other.

Drumsticks in Spinach Gravy served over rice


To make this super simple dish,

You need:



  • 12 drumsticks, each stick chopped into 3 pieces
  • 2-3 bunches of green spinach, finely chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic and 1" ginger crushed to a paste
  • 1 large shallot finely diced
  • 2 green peppers chopped
  • 2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp of dry mango powder or 1 cup of tomato puree
  • 1 tbsp of paprika powder
  • 1 tsp of white pepper
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp of cooking oil
  • 1 cup of filtered water
  • Salt to taste


The make:

Preparation Time: 10 -20minutes| Cooking Time: 30 minutes| Serves 4 adults


  1. Soak the drumsticks and spinach in some vinegar, salt and turmeric powder and allow to stand for 10-20 minutes. Rinse well and strain. 
  2. Heat the oil in  a deep bottomed non-stick skillet on a high temperature. Lower the heat and toss in the shallot and the green peppers and saute till the onions turn translucent.
  3. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
  4. Next add the paprika, white pepper and salt and saute for a minute. 
  5. Add the tomato puree and  and spinach. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. 
  6. Add lemon juice, water and drumsticks. Stir well and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
  7. Uncover and check if the drumsticks are cooked well. If not, additionally cook for another 5-10 minutes.
  8. Serve hot with rice or pasta as desired. Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"