This was a sauce that was first made with my BBQ Chicken almost 18 years ago. It was a hit then and I am glad to say it is even now!
- 1 large shallot or white onion finely diced (I diced 3/4 of the shallot and the rest into thin rings)
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper or crushed pepper corns
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tbsp mustard or Homemade Mustard
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar or cane sugar
- 4 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 glass of lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of ketchup or Homemade tomato paste
Cooking time: 10 minutes | Preparation Time: 10 minutes| Compliments 1 kg chicken
- Heat a skillet and add the EVOO and warm the oil.
- Add the diced shallots and saute till translucent.
- Next add the vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and water. Stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Let it warm. Cover and set aside to cool.