"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 30 May 2012

King Masala Masaledar (Spicy King Fish in thick gravy)

I was inspired to make this dish as I waned to try out something spicy with the King of the Ocean (no pun intended!). This dish goes well with rice.

Curry Leaves
You need:

  • King Fish - 800 gms - cleaned and cut into medium pieces
  • Onions - 2 medium sized - thinly diced cubes(run your knife both vertically and horizontally to achieve this)
  • Tomato - 1 chopped
  • Green chilis - 2 slit lengthwise in the middle leaving the head and tail intact
  • Ginger - 1 inch
  • Garlic - 5-6 cloves
  • Ground Black Pepper corns - 2 tsp
  • Cilantro/coriander leaves - 1 sprig, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • Mustard seeds-1 tsp
  • Tamarind pods(de-seeded) - usually used for fish
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig or 6-8 leaves
  • Oil - cooking oil - 1 tbsp
  • Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
  • Juice of one lime ball size of Tamarind (Traditionally in Kerala the tamarind used is as shown in the image to the right)
*Spices:
  • Cinnamon -1 inch powdered
  • Black Jeera or Cumin - 1 tsp powdered
  • Chili powder - 1 tbsp


The play:

Cooking time: 25-30 minutes, Preparation time: 10 minutes


King Masala Masaledar in claypot
1. Cook the fish in half the tamarind juice with salt and ground black pepper with enough water to barely cover the fish. Do not add too much water as this fish tends to make the water quite milky in texture.
2. Grind the ginger, garlic and chopped tomato with the *spices.
I like to make my fish in a clay pot no matter what the cuisine type as it brings out the flavour in the fish.
3. Heat the cooking oil. Splutter the mustard seeds and add the curry leaves on a medium flame.
4. Saute the onions, green chilis, ground ginger-garlic-tomato paste with the spices till cooked. Add salt to taste.

5. Now add the cooked fish along with the remaining tamarind juice(which was kept aside) and simmer on a low heat till dry.

6. Add the coconut oil and saute well.

7. Top with cilantro leaves and give it one last stir.
Topped with cilantro

Your King# 2 is ready to be served. Serve on the side of rice or as a starter with drinks.
Close up of the King Masala Masaledar

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"