"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 23 May 2013

Roulade with Toasted Almonds and Strawberries - G'Gina's Kitchenette celebrates its First Blogiversary

Happy Blogiversary to G'Gina's Kitchenette and me:) I want to thank my friends and family who convinced me to do something about the acquired talent I gained over the years besides feeding them with my creations! Special thanks to my Mom and Hubby Anup whose recipes feature here now and then. Special thanks also goes out to my readers whose comments, likes, suggestions and more keeps me going!

G'Gina's Kitchenette's facebook page has also inspired many new readers. I have recently started G'Gina's Kitchenette's twitter page as well for those who prefer tweets than facebook.




Roulade is something I always wanted to try and wish I did when there were fresh strawberries. I had to go for the frozen variety which wasn't the best option and what I had to choose since this is Mango season:)

The roulade can also be topped with several berries including but not limited to cranberries, raspberries. pitted cherries and blueberries. Roulades can be made both sweet and savoury but since this is a Blogiversary celebration, I decided to go the sweet way!



You need:

  • 2 large egg whites
  • 110 ml cream-lightly whipped
  • 110g caster sugar
  • 55 g flaked almonds (you can also try this with Blanched Walnut flakes or flaked Macademian nuts)


For the garnish:

  • Strawberries or different berries (cranberries, cherries, raspberries, blackcurrant,etc)
  • Fresh Basil/Mint leaves to garnish



The Make:
Serves 3-4 adults| Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1. Line a medium cake tray (6 x 3 inches) with butter paper or parchment paper ensuring that both the base and the sides are covered.


2. This is the only critical part in the recipe.Next add the egg whites into a large glass or mixing bowl and whisky on medium-high until the mixture forms stiff peaks. You can use an electric hand whisk or a standing food mixer for this process. When the mixture has formed the peaks add in the sugar gradually, whisking thoroughly between each addition. The first time you make this if you are using an electric hand whisk, you may need some help here to add in the sugar.



3. To test if the correct consistency is achieved, i.e the mixture should be glossy and stiff, turn the mixing bowl upside down - if the mixture does not come out of the bowl you can proceed to the next step. If it falls, you need to restart the process.

4. Once the consistency is achieved, spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

5. Heat the oven to 180°C and bake for 20 minutes or less (until light brown on surface).

6. Let the mixture cool in the tin.



Assembling the Roulade:



7. Invert the cooled baked mixture, facing down the side with the flaked almonds on a large sheet of butter paper/ parchment paper dusted with castor/icing sugar.

8. Touch and feel to ensure that the meringue is completely cooled and then spread lavishly with freshly whipped cream.

9. Randomly top with the chopped strawberries (or other berries chopped) and roll up quickly. You can use the edges of the butter paper to help you roll the roulade.

10. You can top the roulade with whipped cream or pipe the cream and top with some assorted berries or strawberries in halves. Place the mint/basil leaves creatively.

11. Carefully lift the roulade off the butter paper and serve on the serving plate of your choice. You can dust some castor/icing sugar on top.




Tips from errors: 

1. Use a flat bake tray not a cake tray. I used the latter and the spread was not in the best shape.
2. Use as much of fresh fruit as you can. The options mentioned in the ingredients section above is the best to choose from.
3. I did not have Walnuts or Macademian nuts and this recipe would go well with them. You can use a combination of these nuts as well.
4. Took the pictures in unnatural light as I had made this in the evening.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"