"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 9 March 2013

Papaya pies and Papaya Pancakes

I hope my readers are enjoying my Breakfast creations as much as I am enjoying creating them. I know that after the initial requests for Breakfast week, it continued into the second week as well. Seriously I am considering continuing for another week simply because I am so enjoying creating these breakfast creations. I still have a couple more to post however I just cannot stop creating new ones. I just made one this morning, finger licking good and kids will so enjoy it as well. Plus, each of these recipes are so nutritious and filling that your energy lasts till afternoon.

PapayaPies

My lil one has been learning about fruits and food types in school. Papaya has been a fancy for her in its imagery and seeds. She does not like to eat it as is but this recipe was enjoyed by her esp. the pancake.


Papaya Pancakes
Now for the pies, I had to add extra ingredients but the base mix was just the same. Papaya by itself is rich in  provitamin A carotenoids, vitamin C, B vitamins, dietary minerals and dietary fibre. I cannot reinstate how important it is to have a breakfast rich in dietary fibre. Kick starts your entire day;-)



*You need:
I have the whole Papaya in my hand:)
  • 1 medium sized ripened papaya, chopped into small pieces
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour or plain flour or whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp sugar or honey
  • A pinch of cinnamon powder
  • 1 cup milk (if slim milk, then use 2 cups)
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil 
  • 1 tbsp butter (room temperature)
  • 1/2 cup filtered water
  • 1/2 cup yoghurt or 1 mashed banana or 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil for dipping (take in a small bowl)
  • 1 tbsp powdered or split flax seeds or blanched and finely diced almonds or other nuts (*Optional - adds crunch)



The make:

Makes 10 pancakes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Preparation Time: 15 minutes

1. Puree the papaya. You can also opt to cut it into thin slices.
2.  Mash banana if you are using banana or whisk eggs if you are using eggs or else skip this step.
3. Combine dry ingredients and mix slightly and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Add the papaya puree to the mix with the milk, oil, water,vanilla and yoghurt or banana or eggs.
5. Whisk together until just combined. Do not over mix as it has to be slightly thick and lumpy. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
6. Add butter to the mix after resting period and give it a good stir. Meanwhile heat an iron skillet or dosa pan or non-stick skillet on high heat until hot.
7. Lower the heat to medium-high and with a oil - dipped kitchen paper towel, rub the surface of the skillet from middle to slightly outer ring of the skillet.
8.  Stir the batter mix. Then take a 1/2 cup quantity of batter in a ladle and pour it in the center of the skillet and in a circular fashion, spread the batter to the outer ring of the skillet.
Closeup of my papaya pancake batter



9. Cook the pancake for 2 minutes on each side or until bubbles appear on the surface of the first side. Since    I had added ripened papaya and sugar to the mix, I had a darker appearance of the surface of the pancake.  It was not in the least bit burnt just darkened because of the fruit factor with sugar.
10. Serve hot as is or with coconut cream, chocolate sauce or sour cream.


Papaya Pancakes


Now for the Papaya Pies, I added

You need:
The above ingredients *

  • 1/2 cup more of flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 3 tbsp of butter at room temperature
  • A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
  • Sour cream (couple of tbsp)
  • Almonds - a few


The make:
Makes 10-12 pies | Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes | Preparation Time: 10 minutes

You can also just use the above batter to make as many pancakes as you like and use the remaining batter with the pie ingredients to make 8-10 pies. In my case I made 7-8 pancakes and then used the remaining ingredients with the pie ingredients to make 8 pies.

1. Either add the pie ingredients to the pancake ingredients as described in the method to make only pies or use the remaining batter of pancake and add in all the above ingredients, except the sour cream and almonds. and whisk well. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
2. Next into a muffin cake tray, pour 3/4 of each pocket with the batter mix and set into a preheated oven of 160°C and cook until golden brown on top or until cooked (check with a skewer). It would normally take 20-30 minutes in an oven of 170-180°C.

Undressed Pumpkin Pies



3. Once cooled, transfer the pies onto a wire rack and top with sour cream and blanched split almonds or whole almonds.

Papaya Pies

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"