"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 7 March 2013

Oat and Millet/Bajra Dosa (Oat and Millet Fermented crepes)

In an attempt to keep breakfast as the most nutritious meal of the day, I tried my hand in creating Oat and Millet Dosas. I have never had this dosa elsewhere nor had I read any recipes anywhere. I just got creative and created it from scratch as Anup does not have cereals with milk for breakfast these days. Of course I made the batter the night before. Served with Dosa-Idli chutney powder, this makes for a very tasty start to the day.
Oat and Millet Dosa with Dosa-Idli chutney


I started out small. This recipe makes for 8-10 medium sized dosas.

You need:

  • 1 cup of millet flour
  • 3 cups of Oat powder/flour
  • 3 cups of filtered water
  • Salt to taste
  • Cooking oil (to dab on the skillet)


The make
Makes 8-10 medium sized dosa | Preparation Time: 8 hrs | Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Tip:For the Oat powder, you can either dry grind the oat flakes in an electric grinder or use oat flour off the shelf.
Prepared batter
1. Combine the flours in a large bowl.

2. Add the water 1/2 a cup a time and mix the flour well.

3. Continue till dosa-like consistency is reached. It should run in a thick (not watery) stream when using a ladle to pour it back into the same bowl.

4. Cover and keep in a warm, dry place overnight. Remember the bowl has to be large enough to allow the batter to rise.


5. The next morning, add the salt and stir well and set aside for 10 minutes.



6. Heat a iron skillet/dosa pan or any flat skillet on high. Take the cooking oil in a small bowl. Dip a cut quarter of an onion or a rolled thick kitchen paper towel into the cooking oil and dab the skillet with the oil.



7. Using a round ladle, take the batter and pour in the center of the skillet and then using the bottom of the ladle in a clockwise fashion, spread the batter to the desired thickness and size.


Making the dosa
8. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow to cook on each side for 2 minutes or until light brown.



9. Continue till the batter is used up. Serve with Dosa-Idli powder or desired condiment. This dosa would go well with coconut chutney or pudina (mint) chutney.


Bon Appetit!
Oat and Millet Dosa served!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"