"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Sunday 31 March 2013

Milk Hoppers or PaalAppam

I have an earlier post on KallAppam (Toddy Pancakes). This recipe is not too far from it other than the fermenting agent. PaalAppam batter can also be used to make a sweet dish called 'Vattayappam' (Steamed Rice and Coconut Cake), a Keralite popular make with left over batter from the Milk Hoppers. I will try and post this recipe soon. You can make Vattayappam later in the day  as a Tea Time snack or the next day after making the Milk Hoppers.




To make these Milk Hoppers,

You need:


  • 4 cups of raw rice or Basmati rice (long-grained rice)
  • 1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut
  • 5-6 cups of filtered water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp yeast
  • 2 cups of cooked rice
  • 2 tbsp of cooking oil



The Make
Makes 15-20 hoppers | Preparation Time: 8-10 hrs (soaking and fermenting time) | Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1.  Soak the rice for 4-6 hours in the water.

2. After the waiting period, in batches, grind the soaked rice with some of the water in which the rice was soaked and the portions of the cooked rice and grated coconut.

3. Next add the yeast to some lukewarm water and sugar and dissolve. Allow to stand for 2 minutes and add it to the batter. Give the batter a good mix and cover and allow to rest. Grease the pan you plan to use the next morning and cover.

I did the grinding of my batter this evening and will allow it to ferment overnight. You can chose to make it in a few hours (3 hrs) of grinding.



4. After the resting period, add the salt to the batter and mix well and get ready to make those hoppers.







5. Wipe the pan with a paper kitchen towel. Heat the non-stick pan or an Appam Chatti (Hopper Pan with lid) on high and once it reaches the desired heat, lower the heat and lightly grease the pan with a kitchen paper towel dipped in oil (hold the oil in a small bowl for easy use and keep the towel dipped in). Use the same paper towel to wipe the pan between making hoppers.







6. Take a rounded ladle with about 1/2 cup quantity of batter and pour in the center of the pan and in a clockwise direction spread the batter to form a nice round circle or flower ring circle.

7. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat. Uncover and place the hopper on a serving plate or in a casserole dish. You can also choose to serve as you make if your guests/family enjoy the crispy wings of the hoppers. You can also break an egg in the center of the poured out appam batter which can be had as is without any gravy/accompaniment.













8. Repeat till the batter is used up or as required. For the leftover batter, you could refrigerate and reuse even the next day to make more Milk Hoppers or make a sweet dish 'Vattayappam' (Steamed Rice and Coconut Cake).








Serve hot with Eggs in Coconut Milk or Chicken Stew or Vegetable Stew! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"