"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 14 June 2012

'Beef Fry in Roasted Coconut Gratings' - A Twist of Beef Ularthiyadu/Olathiyadu (Beef Dry Fry/Beef Roast with Fried Sliced Coconut) and Beef Varathuarichadu (Beef in Fried coconut gratings)

Ok this dish was inspired by the fact that I had only grated coconut but wanted to have Beef Dry Fry and not in a thick gravy. I also wanted to extend both the traditional Beef Fry and Beef in Fried Coconut Gratings to a new level. I call it 'Beef Fry in Roasted Coconut gratings'. The result: It was good! Amen to that!

Beef Fry in Roasted Coconut gratings


You need:

  • Beef: 1/2 kg
  • Coconut gratings: 1/2 cup
  • Ginger-garlic: crush and dice 1" ginger and 5-6 cloves of garlic
  • Onion: 1 medium sized or 4-6 shallots (small onions) diced
  • Pepper powder: 1/2 tbsp
  • Chili Powder (Kashmiri): 1 tbsp
  • Curry leaves: 1 sprig
  • Coriander Powder: 1/2 tbsp
  • Tumeric Powder:1/2 tsp
  • Meat Masala or Garam Masala: 1 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
  • Coconut oil or Cooking oil: 1 tbsp
  • Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1 sprig finely diced (optional)
  • Vinegar: 1 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
The make:

Cooking Time: 40 minutes| Preparation Time: 15 minutes| Serves 4 adults


Beef Fry in Roasted Coconut gratings
  • Cook the cleaned beef with half the ginger-garlic, pepper powder, turmeric powder, meat masala/garam masala (you can also had 1/2 tbsp of meat masala and 1/2 tbsp of garam masala)  and salt in a pressure cooker. Add water to cover, slightly above the beef. This should take about 30 minutes. Once it is done, strain the soupy water (reserve it for stock  and store in a glass jar and refrigerate).
  • While that is going on, almost 10 minutes to completion, heat a large skillet or clay pot and add the coconut gratings and half the curry leaves. Allow to slightly brown (not burn). Set aside.
  • Add oil to the same skillet, splutter the mustard seeds and toss the remaining curry leaves. Add the diced onions/shallots, follow with the remaining ginger-garlic and allow to become slightly brown.
  • Add the Chili Powder, Coriander Powder and vinegar, mix well on a medium flame. Cover and allow the spices to cook for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Uncover and add the cooked beef with about 1/3 cup of the reserved stock and mix well. Cover and allow blending for about 5 minutes. 
  • Next add the roasted coconut and curry leaves. Mix well and allow blending for another 5 minutes or until dry (no gravy)
  • Turn off the flame and garnish with diced coriander leaves on top. Serve with rice or flatbread of your choice. If you allow some gravy (using the reserved stock), then this dish would also go well with Appam.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"