"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Friday 8 June 2012

Methi Chicken Curry (Fenugreek Chicken Gravy)

I whipped up this dish last week so I guess it has taken sometime to make its way into the post. I was more into an experimentation mode last week. Better late than never as they say!

Fenugreek leaves tend to have a bitter flavour and since I had a fresh bunch available, thought why not try it with some tomatoes and shallots in a chicken dish.

It turned out to be much better than I expected. As I mentioned in my earlier post my toddler who fancies non-vegetarian food, smacked up quite a share of it so I am glad it turned out well!

Fenugreek Chicken

You need:

  • 1 kg chicken - boneless or with bone (I tried it with bone) cut into medium size pieces
  • 2 large ripened tomatoes- chopped finely
  • 2 green chilies - 1 slit lengthwise, 1 chopped
  • 1 bunch of Fenugreek (Methi) leaves - finely diced
  • 2 large red onions - 1 cut into fine rings, 1 diced
  • 3-4 small shallots - chopped
  • 5-6 cloves of crushed garlic and diced
  • 1" ginger crushed and finely diced
  • Salt to taste
  • Crushed Peppercorns - 2-3
  • 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder (you can use medium spiced chili powder or paprika powder)
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala ( http://gginaflavorspalatte.blogspot.in/2012/06/garam-masala-indian-spice-powder.html)
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Ginger-garlic paste(1" ginger, 4-5 cloves of garlic ground to a fine paste)
  • Boiled, cooled water as required

The make:

Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes|Preparation Time: 5 minutes|Serves 4-6 adults

  • Marinate the thawed chicken with ginger - garlic paste for 1 hr.
  • Heat a large deep bottomed pan and add the oil. Once warm, add in the ringed red onions and bay leaf until translucent and set aside.
  • Semi-grind one tomato along with the Fenugreek leaves and one chopped green chili. Make sure you do not grind it for too long, otherwise the tomato would turn into juice and you do not want that. Just enough to grind it to a semi paste.
  • Add the diced onions and shallots to the same pan along with the slit green chilli 
  • Add the garlic and ginger until lightly browned. Next add the chopped tomato and mix well.
  • Next add the Chili Powder, Garam Masala powder and pepper. Cover to soften tomato and cook the dry spice mix for about 5 minutes
  • Add the ground mix next to the pan and stir well. Allow to slightly boil and then add the marinated chicken pieces. Mix well and cover to cook for at least 30 minutes on a medium flame. 
  • Check on the chicken in between to ensure there is sufficient water otherwise add boiled, cooled water.
Cooking Process on..
  • Once cooked, transfer the contents to your serving dish and top with the sauteed onion rings and bay leaf

Lunch is served!


Serve with Flatbread (Chapati/Roti) or Rice of your choice! Bon Appetit!






No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"