"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 9 June 2012

Chinese Upma - A Twist on the Traditional Upma (Semolina mash)

This was a morning last week when I wanted to serve up something different for my HD 'A'. This could be had both as a breakfast meal or as a tea-time snack and I will mention the variations/alterations (alt#) to all you cooks and moms out there who find it difficult to make the lil' darlings eat up. I tried this with several variations earlier so you can add what your loved one prefers.
Upma with a twist



You need:

2 cups of Rawa (Semolina)
1 cup Chopped vegetables(thinly sliced) - carrots, beans, peas, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, capscicum (one of these would also do- I tried it with peas alone this time. Before adding potatoes, cut in medium bite size pieces and pre-cook. Finely dicing the veggies lengthwise would give it more of a Chinese cuisine look)
Eggs - 2 (optional-alt#1, beaten with salt and pepper if you are using this alternative)
Tomatoes -diced into cubes(optional - alt#2)
Soya Sauce - 1 tbsp
Tomato Sauce(optional-alt#3. I did not add this although if you are making it as a kids' snack then go ahead)
Paprika or Kashmiri Chili Powder - 1/2 tbsp (skip for kids)
Salt to taste
1/2 tbsp of cooking oil or olive oil (ghee(clarified butter) or unsalted butter - in case you are making it for kids)
2-3 cloves of crushed and diced garlic
1/2" crushed and thinly sliced ginger
1 white onion or 2-3 bulbs of spring onions, finely diced
2 cups boiled, cooled water
Garnish: Thinly sliced leaves of the spring onions(discard wilted)

* Tip: If you are opting only for potatoes, then add tomatoes to compliment

The make:

Cooking Time: 20 minutes|Preparation Time: 5 minutes|Serves 2 adults


  • Dry-roast the semolina (rawa) and set aside.
  • Heat a pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and saute the spring onions leaves for 5 minutes and set aside.
  • Heat a large deep bottomed skillet, personally I prefer the non-stick variety. Add the oil. (normally I would add mustard seeds and curry leaves but as I mentioned this is a twist on the traditional South Indian breakfast)
  • Add the onion, ginger and garlic and saute till translucent. Add the paprika, soya sauce, salt at this stage. (If opting for the egg, add the beaten egg at this stage, taking care not to add too much salt in the egg. Also if opting for the tomato sauce, now is when you add it).
  • Add the veg(s) and saute well. ( if adding tomatoes - now is when you add it in). Add 1 cup of water and cover on a medium flame for about 10 minutes.
  • Lower the flame, uncover and add the roasted rawa, mix well and add 1 cup water to allow the blend in process, avoiding lump formation.
Semolina cake with peas, paprika and soya sauce

  • The upma is done when the semolina uses up all the water. Garnish with the spring onion leaves and serve hot.
  • For kids, you can also add milk and sugar (as it tasted quite well - avoid if using egg, beans, potatoes, cauliflower or the mixed veg option as the tomatoes/tomato sauce would add sufficient flavour)


Served up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"