"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Homemade Mustard Sauce

Most of you would wonder why would you ever need to make mustard at home when you can get an American Garden or Dijon Mustard from the store. Well there are places where you do not get Mustard  or have to pay an "import" price for the same. Most importantly, when you make mustard at home, you can add your own preferred flavours to it. There are two reasons why I would make mustard or mayonnaise at home. There used to be a time when the store bought mayonnaise would cause me a headache until my stay in Mangalore, Karnataka, India where I attended college. Back then, I tasted homemade mayonnaise for the first time which I actually liked and I found the same with my mustard experience. And you can actually add your own preferred ingredients such as garlic, horseradish, onions, curry powder, carraway seeds/cumin seeds. I wanted to make my own as I had to make my famous BBQ Chicken in the next 2 weeks which was loved by both 'A' and Izzy. In fact we actually fought over the share of chicken. For those of you in India, more specifically Hyderabad, I have listed where I got some of my ingredients. There is no cooking involved in this process! Just blending adn whipping. This is how I made my mustard 3 weeks ago:
G'Gina's Kitchenette- Home made Mustard

You need:
Yellow and Black Mustard Seeds
Ingredients used










My lil one trying to reach out
  •  4 tbsp of white or yellow mustard seeds (I used the yellow one - Yellow Rai is the Indian name and is widely available)
  • 2.5 tbsp black mustard seeds
  • 4 tbsp of cane sugar or light brown sugar (I used the Tate & Lyle version that I got from Godrej's Nature Basket)
  • 1 tsp of turmeric powder or fresh tumeric root
  • 1 tsp of dried herbs of your choice ( I used Herbes de Provence -  I got it from Q-Mart. You can also get it from Godrej's Nature's Basket)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cups of white wine vinegar or dry white wine (Again I got the white wine vinegar from Q-Mart)
  • 2 tsp of crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp Paprika

Additional/alternate ingredients as per choice: Onion, Garlic, Horseradish, Tarragon, Cayenne Pepper or Paprika, Dried Basil, Dried Parsley Dried Celery or Thyme,Curry Powder, Beer or Cider or Sherry Vinegar
Note: Do not add all the alternate ingredients in one batch itself. These are just some of the options. You can add your own preferred one(s).


Tools required:

  • A sterilised glass jar or any other sterilised bottle. If you are using plastic jar or squeeze tubes like I did, then ensure it is cleaned well with soap and water and air dried. You can also wash it again with luke warm water and air dry it.
  • Mortar and pestle or grinder/food processor - I used my grain grinder
  • Sterilised funnel
  • Wooden spoon
  • Whipping the mustard
  • Thin wired whisk
The Make:


Preparation Time: 40 minutes | Makes 75ml
  • Once the bottle is sterilised and left to air dry, grind the mustard seeds, salt, brown sugar,turmeric and herbs either with the mortar and pestle or your grain grinder to a powder.
  • Take out the ground ingredients into a bowl and add the white wine vinegar whipping part-by-part (this is where a food processor comes handy as you can actually slowly pour it through the opening of the processor) to a coarse pasty form.
  • Let it stand for about 20-30 minutes
  • Transfer the contents to your sterilised jar or squeeze tube (through the sterilised funnel) and store for about 2 weeks in a cool, dry and dark spot.
  • White wine vinegar and whipped up mustard
  • Note: Refrigerate once open. It will last for many months if stored properly.
Try various flavours of your choice in other batches. You can use some of the alternate ingredients suggested or your own. Hope you enjoy your own homemade mustard!





No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"